Birdie is the leading home healthcare technology platform that aims to radically transform the lives of older adults. Its all-in-one solution supports millions of care visits every month, equipping care providers with the tools they need to deliver better quality care and improve efficiency across most day-to-day operations. Birdie is B-Corp certified and was recently named as a top two Home Health Tech provider globally in the cohort of top 150 Most Innovative Digital Health startups by CB Insight in 2021.
Launched in 2017, Birdie is a team of socially motivated care, health, product and tech entrepreneurs. We were nominated one of the top 10 UK startups to watch, the SME with the best culture in the UK and was in the 2020 Business Cloud Top 50 Start Up’s list. In 2021 we were names no.9 in Start Up’s top 100 innovative and disruptive businesses as well as being accepted into Tech Nation’s 2021 Upscale 7.0 program. As of June 2022 we closed our series B funding with £25m invested by Sofina, Omers & Index ventures.
⚡️ Your mission
As a staff engineer you will be responsible for the engineering delivery of product features, working with your fellow product managers, engineering managers, designers and engineers. It will be your responsibility to ensure that we are constantly delivering high-quality features for our customers and partners while maintaining a low technical debt.
You must be able to inspire and lead the broader product & engineering team with a deep passion and hunger to solve the problems our customers and the industry is faced with.
🦸♀️ How you will contribute:
- You will own and contribute to the technical refinement, delivery and iteration of product features, collaborating with cross-functional teams including product, design and operations.
- Write unit and integration tests along with any code change you will push;
- Write code for both backend and frontend;
- Influence & change the overall system architecture to support new features, with support from other engineering leaders.
- Deploy & analyse the performance of your code in production and re-architect for bottlenecks, using automated monitoring tools where appropriate;
- Coach and guide your team to become autonomous and self-sufficient in their delivery approach;
- Create a learning environment for your team and act as a mentor for engineers and up and coming leaders;
- Become instrumental in improving and implementing processes and values with your team;
- Monitor KPIs, OKRs to assess technological performance and team effectiveness;
🤩 What we love to see
Whilst we don’t require nor expect expert level knowledge in our entire stack (naturally)😅, we find candidates who have expertise in some of the following will have the most success in our hiring process.
- Node based web frameworks (Express, NestJS etc…)
- SPA frameworks (ideally React)
- Strongly typed languages (ideally Typescript)
- Distributed systems (microservices mainly but we also use microfrontends).
- Automated testing (Jest, Cypress etc…)
- Relational databases (ideally Postgres)
- Event driven architectures (Kafka)
- Observability tooling (Datadog, Sentry, Open Telemetry etc…)
- Container based DevOps (Kubernetes, Docker, AWS etc…)
- Small iterative delivery cycles
- Autonomous cross disciplanary software development teams.
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you feel you meet enough of these competencies.
For a more detailed outlining of our stack please visit here
🙌 What are the benefits?
People are our core strength. We are social entrepreneurs, boasting an outstanding culture (employer net promotion score of 67) with strong values (B-Corp certified). We offer exceptional benefits and invest massively in our team’s happiness, wellbeing and growth:
The salary for this role is €91,000.00. We also grant generous stock options to any permanent employee at the end of the probation period. We do adjust salaries based on the cost of living index for employees based outside of the UK.
Ideally, you’re based in Berlin and willing to pop into the office once every 2 weeks. With Covid-19, we however decided to be a fully distributed team, so no hard and fast rule about that. We organise quarterly in-person events and online socials to make sure you can meet up with peers.
🌱 L&D budget
Growth is key. You’ll have a personal development budget to put towards books (e.g., free audible subscription), courses, trainings and conferences; continuous coaching within the team and with external experts
🌴 Base holiday & Christmas leave
33 days base holiday (25 days + 8 bank holidays). Moreover, birdie closes between Christmas and New Year so you can have some down time with your loved ones. This is in addition to your base holiday!
🎂 Birthday leave
You can take your birthday off when it falls on a weekday! (effective from 1st Jan 2023)
👩⚕️ Private health insurance & Wellbeing budget
Private health insurance that covers many physical and mental health costs provided by Alan. birdie also offers each employee a wellbeing allowance every quarter.
👼🏽 Parental Leave
Primary caregivers are entitled to 26 weeks of parental leave at 100% of your usual salary and secondary caregivers are entitled to 12 weeks of parental leave, at 100% of your usual salary.
🐣 Fertility Leave
birdie recognises the emotional and physical challenges which may arise during fertility treatments, and supports all birdies by offering 5 additional paid days of leave.
⛷ Frequent company socials, trips and meals
We organise many socials, quarterly retreats and annual trips (like our epic ski trips)
🤗 Exceptional culture
We see ourselves as social entrepreneurs shaping a new kind of organisation: caring, responsible yet fostering excellence. Read The birdie Way to learn more.