Birdie is the leading home healthcare technology platform that aims to radically transform the lives of older adults. Its all-in-one solution supports millions of care visits every month, equipping care providers with the tools they need to deliver better quality care and improve efficiency across most day-to-day operations. Birdie is B-Corp certified and was recently named as a top two Home Health Tech provider globally in the cohort of top 150 Most Innovative Digital Health startups by CB Insight in 2021.
Launched in 2017, Birdie is a team of socially motivated care, health, product and tech entrepreneurs. We were nominated one of the top 10 UK startups to watch, the SME with the best culture in the UK and was in the 2020 Business Cloud Top 50 Start Up’s list. In 2021 we were names no.9 in Start Up’s top 100 innovative and disruptive businesses as well as being accepted into Tech Nation’s 2021 Upscale 7.0 program. As of June 2022 we closed our series B funding with £25m invested by Sofina, Omers & Index ventures.
🚀 Your mission at Birdie
We need full stack developers to deliver on our product and build the best tech ever seen in the industry. You will get involved in all parts of the development process with full autonomy and be surrounded by the best experts. We believe in smart, capable and innovative people that take the initiative and own their code from planning to deployment and maintenance. We own one of the most exciting tech stacks you’ll see, from various digital products (native apps, web apps) to the latest stack (react native, Node.js) and Internet-of-Things/health analytics.
Join us now and let’s improve millions of lives together! If this offer is not for you, have a look at the other Engineering positions.
🦸♀️ How you will contribute:
- Plan and architect new features
- Code for both backend (Node.js) and frontend (React.js)
- Design and create both unit and integration tests
- Deploy your code to Kubernetes on AWS
- Analyse the performance of your code in production and re-architect for bottlenecks, using automated monitoring tools where appropriate
- Execute in Agile development, in focused squads, using Agile methodologies and continuous improvement
- Maintain your code as necessary with bug fixes and patches
- Drive improvement across Birdie, collaborating where appropriate to continuously improve the products and services we offer
🤩 What we love to see
Whilst we don’t require nor expect expert level knowledge in our entire stack (naturally)😅, we find candidates who have expertise in some of the following will have the most success in our hiring process.
- Node based web frameworks (Express, NestJS etc…)
- SPA frameworks (ideally React)
- Strongly typed languages (ideally Typescript)
- Distributed systems (microservices mainly but we also use microfrontends).
- Automated testing (Jest, Cypress etc…)
- Relational databases (ideally Postgres)
- Event driven architectures (Kafka)
- Observability tooling (Datadog, Sentry, Open Telemetry etc…)
- Container based DevOps (Kubernetes, Docker, AWS etc…)
- Small iterative delivery cycles
- Autonomous cross disciplinary software development teams.
- Are someone who is inspired by, and seeks to embody our values
For a more detailed outlining of our stack please visit here
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you feel you meet enough of these competencies.
Nice to have
- Experience with customer-facing products
- Experience with production systems at scale
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Architects services and systems to allow autonomous development and future scaling
- Experience with the mobile application at scale
- Have knowledge or worked with event-driven architecture (Kafka)
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you meet the majority of these competencies.
The recruiting process
- Phone screen: a 30 to 45 minute video call to get to know you, understand your career expectations and answer your questions
- Technical interview: 45 minutes of conversation with engineers based on a remote exercise, followed by a 1 hour pair programming exercise
- Values round: 45 minute session with a colleague outside of Engineering, followed by a 45 min video call with the CEO or a co-founder
Our hiring process takes 3 weeks on average. Offers usually come within 48 hours.
🙌 What are the benefits?
People are our core strength. We are social entrepreneurs, boasting an outstanding culture (employer net promotion score of 67) with strong values (B-Corp certified). We offer exceptional benefits and invest massively in our team’s happiness, wellbeing and growth:
The salary for this role is €84,000.00. We also grant generous stock options to any permanent employee at the end of the probation period.
Ideally, you’re based in Berlin and willing to pop into the office once every 2 weeks. With Covid-19, we however decided to be a fully distributed team, so no hard and fast rule about that. We organise quarterly in-person events and online socials to make sure you can meet up with peers.
🌱 L&D budget
Growth is key. You’ll have a personal development budget to put towards books (e.g., free audible subscription), courses, trainings and conferences; continuous coaching within the team and with external experts
🌴 Base holiday & Christmas leave
33 days base holiday (25 days + 8 bank holidays). Moreover, birdie closes between Christmas and New Year so you can have some down time with your loved ones. This is in addition to your base holiday!
🎂 Birthday leave
You can take your birthday off when it falls on a weekday!
👩⚕️ Private health insurance & wellbeing budget
Private health insurance that covers many physical and mental health costs provided by Alan. birdie also offers each employee a wellbeing allowance every quarter.
👼🏽 Parental Leave
Primary caregivers are entitled to 26 weeks of parental leave at 100% of your usual salary and secondary caregivers are entitled to 12 weeks of parental leave, at 100% of your usual salary.
🐣 Fertility Leave
birdie recognises the emotional and physical challenges which may arise during fertility treatments, and supports all birdies by offering 5 additional paid days of leave.
⛷ Frequent company socials, trips and meals
We organise many socials, quarterly retreats and annual trips (like our epic ski trips)
🤗 Exceptional culture
We see ourselves as social entrepreneurs shaping a new kind of organisation: caring, responsible yet fostering excellence. Read The birdie Way to learn more.
Join birdie and seize this unique opportunity to shape the future of a transformative tech startup, to create positive social change, and develop yourself very fast in a flexible, close-knit & transparent organisation.
We have a grand vision to transform how society deals with ageing, starting with radically improving the lives of 1 million older adults in the next 3 years. We dream big and speed is of the essence.
We’re all entrepreneurs at birdie. We’re a flat organization, with no manager to tell you what to do but a community of peers and coaches to support you.
We’re highly collaborative and iterative. Everything we do is transparent to anyone, be it objectives and key results, compensation packages and equity or strategic conversations.
Growing with trust is key. Everyone sets their own development plan and gets support to learn fast, from training to books or coaches. We live by radical candour: we give honest feedback and care deeply & personally about each other.
Join us now to improve the lives of millions!
⚖️ Equal Opportunities Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strive to reduce unconscious bias throughout our hiring process. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
We endeavour to embrace diversity, and promote an inclusive environment for all birdies, and actively work towards this with our Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
If you have any questions regarding the interview process, or if you need any reasonable adjustments to be made, please don’t hesitate to contact us.