Graduate Software Developers
Making the Right Choice
Making the Right Choice
Do you have (or are you about to get) a great degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a similar technical subject? Have you supplemented this with practical experience, maybe a year in industry, or setting up your own small software business? Are you ambitious and keen to work as part of a growing e-commerce team? If so, we want to talk to you!
Working closely with other parts of the business, the Technical Team in Richmond is responsible for building all of the technology for our multi-award-winning notonthehighstreet.com e-commerce platform and website.
We are looking for graduates with some practical experience, and the drive and enthusiasm to succeed in a demanding and professional team environment. Our graduate scheme covers key areas within the engineering process, offering an informal, yet comprehensive programme enabling you to gain valuable insight and experience in development, testing, operations, product and project management.
The graduate scheme will help you to explore your options and discover your strengths and ambitions. You may have an aptitude for testing, excel in product development or user-experience design, or perhaps prefer working closely with the business to analyse and define requirements. Notonthehighstreet.com will give you the best possible foundation in technology, agile processes and scalable web architecture and technologies, helping you to make an informed choice as to the direction of your future career.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to work as part of an extremely talented engineering team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that places a strong emphasis on ownership and “doing things properly”. The projects you will work on are central to the future strategies of notonthehighstreet.com and will be highly visible both internally and externally to our customers and partners.
Spending approximately 3-6 months with each team, you have an opportunity to work in many of the following areas:
- Ruby Development
- Web Development/User Experience
- Operations, Release Engineering
- Product Management/Business Analysis
You will work alongside other developers, designers, product managers and test engineers to gain experience and contribute to product development of complex, high volume web applications and core services:
- Creating automated tests for new functionality and existing products, including functional and non-functional tests using a variety of commercial and open source tools
- Using good development practices for agile projects including requirements elicitation, acceptance test definition, test writing, exploratory testing, and ability to deal effectively with uncertainty and alternative points of view
- Collaborating with other developers using a mixture of pair programming and test driven development (TDD)
- Working in small agile development teams, using storyboards, daily stand-ups and two week sprints
- Performing use-case analysis, breaking down high-level requirements into stories, tasks and defining acceptance criteria
- You must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be a strong team player, able to work in a demanding yet fun professional environment
- A good degree (2.1 or above) in computer science or similar technical subject from a Top 20 university/computer science department. Any post-graduate qualifications in a relevant discipline could well be beneficial too
- Development experience using an object oriented language, such as Ruby, Java, C# or C++
- Good understanding, ideally practical experience of modern software engineering practices, including unit testing (TDD), continuous integration, pair programming, automated functional testing, design patterns and modularization
- Ability to prioritize and be pragmatic when needed
- Strong attention to detail
The site brings together over 3,000 independent small UK businesses that combined sell over 50,000 products through a single checkout. We offer an affordable route to market for thousands of designer-makers and creative businesses who otherwise struggle for custom and can lose out in the wholesale battle with high street giants. Each business has been carefully chosen by notonthehighstreet.com for its innovative, well-made products to inspire shoppers looking for style, originality and quality, but who never seem to find it on the high street.
Thousands of items are available to buy from a choice of departments – home & garden, women, men, baby & child, gifts, fashion and weddings – as well as dedicated collections which highlight the best products and gift ideas for key occasions including Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Christmas.
At notonthehighstreet.com we’re passionate about working with talented, dedicated, creative people with exceptionally high standards; people who are committed to their roles, their careers and to the company. Above all we’re passionate about supporting small businesses and delivering a first-class experience to all our customers.
Register below to attend the TechStartupJobs Fair and meet with this recruiter and many more!
4643 total views, 3 today