Full-timeEmbedded Team Lead – Flight Control for Drones
Engineering | Zurich, Switzerland | Full-time
Who we are:
Auterion is the largest open source drone software company and is a leader in a movement that is bigger than itself. The company builds the open source operating system for commercial drones on top of PX4, the most widely used flight controller for drones. Our mission is to connect the community of developers, contributors, and companies creating better technology the open source way. Auterion is co-founded by Lorenz Meier, creator of Pixhawk, founder of PX4 and named MIT Innovator 35 under 35, and Kevin Sartori, UC Berkeley MBA and drone industry expert from Silicon Valley.
What you tell your family you do:
“I’m building the world’s largest drone ecosystem by driving the technical development on the flight control level to build better drones. No, I will not deliver you a pizza with a drone (yet)!“
What you really do:
The Embedded Team Lead position is a multifaceted role, in which you will be responsible for growing, managing, and developing a world-class team. You will shape and enable development and deployment of novel technology offerings, and ensure that the team is successfully executing on the wide range of projects being worked.
On top of that, you will have to opportunity to work and provide guidance on a wide range of robotics software development tasks including flight control, sensor data management, and sensor fusion. You excel in mastering a broad set of skills and fields, whilst mentoring a distributed global team in different time zones and different engineering cultures.
In detail you will:
- Mentorship: You will manage, grow, and maintain a talented staff of junior engineers, whilst building a strategic mix of skillsets and disciplines. You like to promote and enable a culture of innovation within the group, growing the culture of collaboration outside of the group, nurturing new ideas, and supporting engineers by providing technical guidance.
- Enabling innovation: You will establish best-practice software development workflows, and drive and organize the technical development of Auterion's flight control software. You have a flair for implementing best practices, develop scalable test procedures, and collect and analyze datasets.
- Interdisciplinary representation: You will work closely and be the interface for other teams, Auterion testers and the px4 community. You will be the interface to the community development on dev calls, forums and meetings.
- Software Engineering & Testing: You will work on flight control software development tasks, write unit tests, flight simulation tests and in-flight instrumentation for all modules.
We would love to hear from you if:
- Professional and Academic Experience: Ideally you have a MSc in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline and have at least 5+ years hands-on experience working in the field.
- Of these 5+ years, you have worked in the drone and/or robotics software industry as a senior robotics software engineer (at least 4 years) and have had team lead or mentorship responsibilities in an agile environment
- You have experienced the entire product development lifecycle, and understand the importance of deadlines and prioritising.
- Technical skills: You have profound knowledge of C++, python and build systems(cmake/make). Good programming skills (C++) are important to interface prototypes and test equipment, and to collaborate efficiently with the team. Furthermore, you practice and preach the importance of maintainability. You understand the importance of testing and enjoy implementing best practices into the team. You have experience with debugging tools such as GDB (jtag/swd)
- Interpersonal skills: You are a strategic thinker who can craft and execute a vision for the group that moves the larger organizational goals forward. You are a humble and collaborative team player with a passion for people and innovation. You have the ability to clearly communicate about technology to a broad range of audiences, including customers, internal and external stakeholders, co-founders, engineering peers, and others across a broad range of technical and non-technical backgrounds. You enjoy cross-group and cross-culture collaboration, along with a good command of spoken and written English to communicate with our international team of engineers. You value reliability, and enjoy working in a dynamic environment at the forefront of the next generation of autonomous robots.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Knowledge and understanding of UAV System Dynamics, Flight Mechanics and State Estimation. A previous touch points with PX4 or similar flight control software is very advantageous
- Strong Passion for Open Source Software and its merit-based based nature
- Experience with Arm-based microcontrollers (STM32 F4 and F7 families is a plus) and embedded peripherals (USB, SPI, UART, I2C, CAN, DMA, ADC, timers)
- Know-how of RTOS (multi-threading, multi-tasking, POSIX APIs) is a plus
What you will find at Auterion:
- A Silicon Valley style startup (we know, we were part of one) in the heart of Switzerland, but with a truly global reach
- Plenty of opportunities to fly all possible drones in the field just 2 minutes from our office 🙂
- We have all the perks you would expect from a great startup: an amazing industry (Robotics and Drones...need we say more), incredible office space, a smart multidisciplinary team, a flexible workplace, plenty of food in the kitchen, and a pure mission that binds us all together
- Be based in the heart of Switzerland in Zurich’s bustling city life as well as near the natural beauty of the country and – of course – the Swiss Alps.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan.
How to ApplyPlease apply on our website
180 total views, 1 today